It’s that time of year again. The kids are getting out of school and summer fun is about to start. Before you run off to the beach, ball park, campground or grab that flight to your fun summer destination, take a few minutes to prepare a natural first aid kit stocked with exactly what every family needs to ensure more time is spent on fun and family-time, rather than nursing painful burns, stings, boo-boo’s and other things that could throw your trip off track!
Natural First Aid Kit Essentials
- Natural Gauze, Paper Tape and Scissors
- Waterproof Bandages – great for staying in place when enjoying summer water activities
- Organic Wipes – in case you need to clean a cut or scrape on the go
- Tweezers – because splinters and stingers strike at the worst times
- Super Glue and/or Duct Tape – might be just the thing to avoid stitches, hold a make-shift bandage together or buy you time when you’re not near a proper medical office
- Ice Packs – you can actually make your own DIY ice pack by freezing liquid dish soap or rubbing alcohol in a double-bagged Ziploc® plastic bag. It’s more conforming and comfortable than a bag of ice. In a pinch, you can also use a bag of frozen peas
Summer and Travel Must Have’s
- Electrolytes – Children and adults alike are prone to dehydration from gastrointestinal illnesses like food poisoning and even motion sickness. Look for a powdered water-soluble formula for hydration on the go!
- Arnica Gel – this is a great homeopathic remedy for muscle pain or injury and essential for those with active children. It’s great to speed up the recovery from bumps, bruises and any type of minor trauma.
- Blister Care – Nothing can ruin a good hike or exploring a new city more than painful blisters. Carry wipes (if you don’t want to use alcohol, try wipes infused with tea tree oil) to clean the skin and a needle to drain fluid before bandaging.
- Silver First Aid Gel – many people think of aloe as the only natural burn or skin soothing remedy to trust. While it is a go-to for many for relieving the heat from a burn, silver actually has far more uses and benefits. Homeopathic Silver (Argentum Metallicum) is known for skin tissue regeneration, promoting healing for minor cases, and minimizing scar formation. It also reduces tissue inflammation associated with minor wounds, allowing for faster healing. Many say it’s a lifesaver when painful sunburns or minor burns strike. It even helps the blisters mentioned above heal! Plus, kids will love that it’s odorless, colorless, and non-stinging. Moms will love that it doesn’t stain clothes or send the kids running to hide when it’s time to treat their “owies”.
- Essential Oils – there are many essential oils that would be beneficial in a first aid kit. Here are a few that cover all the bases:
- Peppermint – used by many for headaches, motion sickness and for soothing upset tummies. This is a must-have for anyone who doesn’t travel well on planes or long car rides.
- Lavender – this is great to have on hand when staying overnight in strange places. It can relax and calm, perfect for anyone who has trouble falling asleep. Might make that hotel stay or overnight at grandma’s house much more enjoyable.
- Oregano – The Carvacrol in oregano oil works as a natural insect repellant. Dr. Mercola recommends putting a few drops on outdoor furniture or applying a diluted mixture on your skin when heading outdoors. Perfect for those summer nights outside catching fireflies!
Prevention and Immune Support*
While a well-stocked natural first aid kit is a must for any busy or traveling family, you should also have a solid immune support plan. Yes, even in the summer months! Who wants to be sidelined just before, or worse, while you are on your summer vacation?
Here are some additional items to pack protection and to support your immune system* so that fun, family-time and relaxation is all that you’re concerned with this summer:
- Natural Bug Repellant – We’ve already mentioned oregano oil, but coconut oil also has properties to repel pests (plus it smells like vacation!). There are also many natural bug repellent products in stores. Whatever you choose, be sure to use it liberally to avoid itch and discomfort. (Tip: If bites do strike, the Sovereign Silver® First Aid Gel is great for calming the itch.)
- Sunscreen – You can find many natural sunscreens in stores these days but choose wisely. Natural can be a vague term so do your homework. Here’s a great article by nymag.com that has ratings by the Environmental Working Group.
- Colloidal Silver – Air travel, crowded amusements parks, germy cruise ships, camps, and change of routine due to travel can all stress a healthy immune system. To keep these challenges from derailing summer fun, an Immune-Building dose of a silver supplement before, during and after travel may be just the thing to keep everyone’s immune function supported and healthy.
“Colloidal Silver” has been used for over 125 years in countless applications, and encompasses a wide variety of silver products, but buyers should be aware that not all silver supplements are the same. Be sure to do your homework to know what the difference is. Many contain salts, proteins, compounds or stabilizers—all of which affect silver’s safety* and efficacy.* Bio-Active Silver Hydrosol™ represents the safest*, purest and most effective* form of colloidal silver.
So get busy preparing your natural first aid kit, make your plan of attack to stay healthy this summer, and get ready for fun and memories to be made by all.
Leave a comment